Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekend Snapshots


This weekend I....


1. Played around with my new iphone that was finally delivered last week. I didn't have time to get acquainted with my new phone yet since it was a hectic and tiring week at work, so I got to play around with it this weekend. Now I need to find a nice case for it...

2. Wore my new Clover Canyon dress for a night of classical music at the Strathmore Center in Rockville, MD. I'm so in love with the print...

3. Was invited by Washington Performing Art Society for a night of piano classical music by pianist Yuja Wang at the Strathmore Center. Confession time: I've played piano for 18 years of my life and was thisclose to majoring in piano performance in college because it was such a huge part of my life but life ultimately led me to another profession. Attending classical music performances whether it be conducted by a solo pianist or an orchestra is something that I enjoy tremendously, so a big thanks to WPAS for inviting me this weekend. Be sure to check out their monthly calendar for performances that vary from classical music to dance and jazz.

4. Dined at Rose's Luxury in Washington, DC. It just opened up several weeks ago but I've been so curious about this place because the Chef is an alum of Momofuku Noodle Bar and I'm part of the cult following of David Chang's empire. I don't know even know to begin but I'm in love with everything about this place. I love the fact that there are two separate dining areas which is catered for couples and larger groups. The 8 (?) seat bar seating downstairs is situated right in front of their open kitchen which allows you to see the staff at work. Chef Aaron Silverman was in house and was overseeing the staff and serving the dishes to the customers. He even explained on how to optimize the flavor components on some of the dishes we ordered that night. The popcorn soup w/ lobster is getting lots of hype which literally tastes like what you would imagine a popcorn soup to taste like, but with lobster bites. Mixed feelings about this one. The highlight for me of the night was the caramelized cauliflower w/ Greek yogurt and raisin puree (and I don't even like cauliflower!) and the spicy pork w/ lychee and crispy garlic which played wonderfully on the sweet and savory notes. I probably could've had 3 bowls of that dish. Be warned, they don't take reservations but I HIGHLY recommend checking this place out because I have a feeling it will become popular very, very fast.

5. My friend Sung and I were getting some snacks and coffee at Dean and Delucca in Georgetown and while we were walking out, we noticed a macaron shop, Olivia Macaron that was next door. We were both curious about it because we had no idea a macaron shop would be opening up in that area, so naturally we ordered macarons to taste test. We asked the staff how long the shops been opened and they told us it just opened up last week! We ordered the lemon, rose, pistachio, salted caramel, vanilla, and rasberry flavors but the only ones that stood out were the pistachio and rasberry. I would've liked the outside texture to be a bit softer and some of the flavors to be more pronounced but since this shop just opened up I am willing to give it another try later down the road.


How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment