This weekend I…
1. Went to a small potluck that Melanie hosted at her place. The theme was Autumn dishes so I made pumpkin cheesecake squares for dessert while she made butternut squash tortellini and butternut squash soup, which I think was the star of the meal. Another friend brought cheesy sweet potato fries and by the time we stuffed ourselves, we managed to have dessert and drinks along followed by a gab session that lasted until 2am. Good times.
2. Checked out the Arlington Farmers Market (vendors are there only on Saturdays) for the first time and was pleased with the abundance of fresh produce that was available. I picked up some apples and sweet potatoes that ended up being roasted in the oven. So simple, so good, so Fall.
3. Dined at America Eats Tavern which relocated to the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner. We ordered the braised short beef and vermicelli mac n' cheese (not pictured) and it was one of those meals where it wasn't bad but it wasn't exceptional either. The short ribs were cooked well and were tender but flavor wise, it was average. I'd be willing to try this place again but it's not a restaurant I would highly recommend either. Sorry Jose Andres.
4. Baked the most delicious and moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. I'm very particular when it comes to pumpkin flavored things (I hate pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin pies) but I do enjoy pumpkin cake/bread if it has just the amount of pumpkin flavor/spices to it and this cake has it. I baked this for my friends since I was hosting a small potluck and also because I wanted to test this recipe before Thanksgiving and I'm 100% baking this again during the holidays. Time to hoard the pumpkin puree cans at the grocery store! Will share the recipe soon.
5. I finally wore my new Chanel brooch I bought from my recent trip to Hong Kong. It was one of those unplanned purchases that kind of happened and the fact there wasn't tax definitely made this purchase more favorable;)
How was your weekend?