Friday, July 19, 2013

NomNom: Couscous with Apricot Vinaigrette

One of the many things I love about being in the kitchen and researching recipes to experiment with, is to be reintroduced to foods I may not have liked before. Truth be told, I was never a fan of couscous until I came across today's recipe. The ones I've come across prior to this recipe had a grainy, dry, texture to it and there wasn't much of a impressionable punch in taste. Not exciting therefore was never very interested.

I wanted to make a quick, easy, and light side dish for dinner and came across this recipe within my food magazine stack. I took a quick glance at the ingredient list and realized I had everything on the list (minus the couscous) which I took as a sign to the beginnings of a refound relationship.


Fluffy and flavorful. That's what couscous should be like and this recipe delivers just that. I'm not sure if I just got unlucky with the couscous dishes I've come across in my life because this dish is truly outstanding. There is so much going on with this super simple dish starting from the texture you get from the almonds to the slightly sweet and tangy sauce that's weaved into the couscous. The fact that you just pour hot water over the couscous and let it stand for 5 minutes to "cook" is kind of amazing in itself. I mean, how easy is that? (said in my best Ina Garten's voice).

Have a great weekend. Xo


Recipe (Adapted from Real Simple mag: Easy, Delicious Meals): Serves 6
1 10-ounce box couscous (1 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup apricot preserves
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
Salt and black pepper
2 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped

Procedure
1. Place the couscous in a serving bowl. Pour 1 1/2 cups hot tap water over the top. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, warm the preserves in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and whisk in the oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

3. Fluff the couscous with a fork and toss with the scallions almonds, and vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment