Tuesday, March 11, 2014

NomNom: Mango Coconut Chia Pudding

I finally jumped on the nutrition train. Well, sorta. I'm not at that point in my life to cut out all sorts of not so healthy for me types of food yet. It's not in the stars for me as of now but I am making a more conscious effort to be more cognizant of what goes into my body. Baby steps.

If you haven't heard by now, chia seeds have been and still are a major thing in the health food world. I'm usually skeptical in the beginning when there's so much hoopla surrounding the next big "superfood" so I've resisted experimenting with chia seeds for a long time. I suppose that's the rebellious part in me. I dunno.


So a quick breakdown on these seeds. They are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, and calcium (up to three times more than a serving of milk!!) and well you get the picture. People use it to sprinkle it in their smoothies, oatmeals, and whatever else the heart desires. I found that boring so after researching a bit more, I found that it's also used to make pudding. These seeds by itself are bland so they need help with taste enhancement which is where the fun experimenting part comes in. I assemble mine in a mason jar to give it a good, solid shake and let it sit overnight in the fridge so it can be part of my morning routine or a a snack I can reach for in the fridge. Did I mention how filling it is?

I can't get over how the seeds absorb the liquid and expand in size like crazy. The texture reminds me of rice pudding and let me tell you, the combination of the ingredients I'm sharing with you today are WINNING. Chia seeds are legit, friends.

I now understand what the rage is all about. I'm a believer.


Ingredients (Adapted from www.SkinnyTaste.com): Yields: 2 servings
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup fresh ripe champagne mango, diced
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
4-6 drops Agave Nectar (or sugar/honey to taste)

Procedure
1. Combine all ingredients in a container. Close and shake well. (I found mason jars work well).
2. Let it sit for 20 minutes and shake well again. Refrigerate over night or for at least 8 hours.





2 comments:

  1. Yum! Need to try!
    http://www.fabulousfrocksbridal.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been really skeptical about chia too but may have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete