Saturday, August 2, 2014

NomNom: Marinated Watermelon and Tomato Salad

Summer so far has been nothing short of amazing. Testing new recipes with fresh seasonal vegetables from the CSA, a quick and fun trip to LA, taking my running on the treadmill to outdoors, weekend trips to the local farmers market to consume my weights worth of melons/watermelons, all while hanging out with loved ones have brought along great memories for summer '14 thus far.


I'm not kidding when I say this but I could easily finish a 5 lb baby watermelon in a day. By myself. I mean, it's borderline obnoxious how much I've been eating this sweet, juicy fruit the past month and believe it or not, those deceiving looking yellow things pictured are watermelons! I discovered that yellow-fleshed watermelons existed last week (found at the farmers market) and have been consuming them like a boss. I can't get enough of fresh summer produce and today's recipe takes watermelon to the next level. After discovering this salad, I just can't be bothered with eating watermelons by itself anymore, let alone normal looking red fleshed watermelons. #Sorryimnotsorry.

#Kidding.

Summer eating should be about fresh, sweet, juicy, and citrusy things--foods that make you say, "ahhh this tastes like summer" and rest assured, this salad will do that.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend so far. Xo.


Ingredients (Adapted from Real Simple Magazine July 2014: Yields 8)
10 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 lb chopped tomatoes
1/2 sliced red onion
1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Procedure
1. Combine watermelon and fresh lime juice in a large bowl. Let sit, stirring occasionally, at room temperature for 15 minutes. (The watermelon will absorb the lime juice as it sits.)

2. Add chopped tomatoes, red onions, basil leaves, olive oil, sat and pepper and toss to combine.


No comments:

Post a Comment