Friday, June 21, 2013

NomNom: Strawberry Lemonade Sangria

To kick off the first official day of summer, I want to share with you this drink recipe that will surely carry you through those hot, summer days when you just wanna kick back and relax with a cold, refreshing drink in hand.

Ever since I bought a blender several weeks ago, I've been on a blending/smoothie rage. I even made my first green smoothie a couple of days ago, which if you know me, is a shocking thing. When I told my friends I made one, they looked at me all bugged eyed. Health guru, I am not. That's another post....


This recipe appealed to me for several reasons. One, it involves strawberries which is something I've been obsessed with (slowly being replaced by watermelon and blueberries). Second, the recipe tells you to blend whole lemons. Yea, the whole thing--not just the juice. I was pretty skeptical with the thought of blending the skin of the lemons but I tried it out and well...just do as your told. It's also convenient since don't have to sit there and juice several lemons. Thumbs up for efficiency. 

Don't worry, the natural sweetness from the strawberries helps with the sourness that lemons give, and if you still think it's too sour, the recipe also calls for sugar (I used agave nectar). 


This drink recipe is the perfect summer drink whether it involves alcohol or not....but I prefer adding sparkling white wine to the mix;) I made this for a couple of girlfriends a couple of weeks ago (one of them rarely drinks alcoholic beverages) and the friend who doesn't usually drink alcohol loved and requested pouring her the alcoholic version. So that's that.

Have a great weekend. Xo.


Ingredients (Adapted from http://laylita.com/recipes/2012/06/08/strawberry-lemonade/) Yields: 6-8 C) 
¼ lb strawberries, washed & cut in halves, about 4 cups
2 lemons, washed and quartered (use limes to make strawberry limeade)
 ½- ¾ cup honey or sugar to taste, adjust based on your preference &sweetness of strawberries (I used agave nectar)
6 cups of water
Ice
Sparking white wine (for alcoholic version)
Garnishes: Strawberry slices, lemon slices and/or fresh herbs

Procedure
1. Blend the strawberries, lemons and honey with 2 cups of water
2. Strain the strawberry lemon mix, add the additional 4 cups of water through the strainer (Alcoholic version: Mix the strained mixed with white wine or sparkling wine, instead of the additional 4 cups of water)
3. Taste and add additional honey/sugar if needed
4. Serve cold over ice and garnished with strawberry slices, lemon slices and herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment