Friday, September 13, 2013

NomNom: Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie

My blender has been getting lots of uses the past couple of months (I'm secretly waiting for my blender to break down so I can have an excuse to buy a Vitamix). Green smoothies are a regular drink at my place but I've been on the hunt for more smoothie recipes. After searching the web for one that spoke to me, I decided to give this blueberry almond butter smoothie a go. I mean I love blueberries, am a fan of almond butter (specifically Justin's Almond Butter), and Martha Stewart's recipes so this seemed like a no brainer.


But I had one small problem with this recipe which involved the 2 cups of water the recipe called for. I had an inkling that this might make the smoothie taste a bit bland....and I was right. I mean I'm all about healthy food but it had better taste good or else it won't go past my lips (just ask my mom for relatable stories). After experimenting for a bit, I concluded that substituting with 1 cup of (sweetened) almond milk instead yielded just the right amount of sweetness for me. 

This smoothie is great for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack which is what I've been drinking it for. I've been trying to be a bit more health conscious lately and making sure I get my fruits and veggies....but don't expect this blog to turn into a healthy food blog anytime soon. I still love my bacon.

Have a great weekend. Xo.


Ingredients (Adapted from www.wholeliving.com)
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries (6 oz.)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons almond butter
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
  • 3 dates (Medjool or Deglet), pitted
  • 2 cups water (I used 1 cup water and 1 cup almond milk)

Procedure
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth


1 comment:

  1. This look so yummie, I love smoothie it really helps with losing weight!

    xoxo akinyi
    http://fitsonme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete