Friday, March 2, 2012

NomNom: Lucky Lamb Snackers

So this past Monday was my precious dog, Mandu's birthday. He turned 3 years old and has been such a blessing in my life. Mandu is the only pet I've ever owned so it's been a learning process on how to raise one, but he's already made such a positive impact in my life. He's taught me to be more responsible, more patient, and has shown me nothing short of unconditional love. Being a pet owner now, I now understand when people say they consider their pets as part of their family.

I'm not gonna lie...with a face like his, it's really hard not to spoil him and when a special day only comes once a year, it means that he'll be spoiled more then usual;) The past couple of years I've been baking a 'pupcake' for him, but I noticed that he'll only eat the icing part (made from cream cheese). The little guy loves cheese, just like his momma.

This year I decided to make something else and unexpectedly came across a recipe from Rachel Ray's magazine. Who would've thought? I could've easily bought a bunch of fancy biscuits for him instead, but to me, putting in the time and effort to make something for your pet (or anyone for that matter) just seems more special.
Mandu is a bit of picky eater so experimenting with this recipe which involves lamb was gonna be an expensive gamble but luckily for me, he loved it. Seriously. The little guy ate it up like it was nobody's business.

 Those eyes. That nose. Dem ears.
So if you're also a dog owner, I highly recommend you make these. He/she will love them as much as Mandu did and if not, Mandu will happily eat them for you=)

Have a great weekend.


Ingredients (adapted from Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine March 2012) Yields: 24 treats
1/2 cup ground lamb (4 oz)
1/2 cup shredded sweet potato
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 cup water

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet cook together the lamb and sweet potato together until the meat is browned.  Transfer to a large bowl along with any meat juices; let cool for at least 5 minutes.  

2. Mix in the eggs, flour, and water.  Drop a heaping teaspoonful of the mixture onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake until browned on the bottom and firm to the touch, 20 to 24 minutes.  Let cool.  These treats can be stored in the refrigerator for one week or freeze them for up to 2 months.




No comments:

Post a Comment