Friday, March 16, 2012

NomNom: No Cook Chocolate Pudding

You know those days when you come home from a long day of work and look through your fridge to see if there's anything good to snack on? Okay, maybe that's just me but I've had plenty of days like that recently due to long hours at work. Sometimes I just like to have something that's ready-to-eat-no-heating required-kind of food in my kitchen so I can take a bite of whatever deliciousness that is readily available while standing in my kitchen. Yea, standing. Is that weird? I dunno.

When I was younger, my mom would often times pack me those Jell-O pudding snacks for lunch and I would devour it because that would satisfy my sweet tooth. Now that I'm much older and more ahem "adult like" I figured it's due time to try my hands on home made chocolate pudding.


You know how they say the book is always better than the movie version of it? I apply that to food as well. Homemade versions are always, always better. This pudding is easy (NO COOKING required people!!), decadent, and not overtly sweet because it uses both bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder.

With the warm weather we've been having, how perfect would a refreshing bite of chocolate pudding sound to you?

Have a great weekend.


Ingredients: Yields 4 (Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine)
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (1-1/2 cups)
2 oz (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into four pieces
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch table salt
Sweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)

Procedure
1. Have ready six 4- to 6-ounce ramekins or teacups. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan or microwave until just boiling. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa until smooth.

2. Add the chocolate, butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and whisk until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth.

3. Pour the mixture into the ramekins or cups. Depending on the size of your ramekins, they’ll be filled about two-thirds to three-quarters of the way. Cover with plastic (not touching the surface of the puddings) and refrigerate until chilled and thickened, at least 6 hours or up to three days.

4. Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a few chocolate shavings, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment