Wednesday, February 13, 2013

NomNom: Rasberry Cream Cheese Tarts

Happy almost Valentine's day! There are two different types of feelings towards this holiday--you either love it or hate it. I'm the former only because I enjoy celebrating love. Cheesy, I know.

I'll admit this holiday has become overly commercialized but if you acknowledge this holiday for what it's supposed to represent then how could you not like it? It's a good ol' reminder to hug that special person(s) and doggy in your life a little tighter and let them know how much you loooooove them.


As I was on my way back to the states from Costa Rica, I had a 2 hour layover in Georgia. I wandered over to the newsstand and picked up the latest issue of People magazine to catch up on the latest celebrity news because, well, I need to know which celebrity is hooking up with who and which latest couple is divorcing. It's just that simple.


So there's usually a recipe they share in each issue and this time they had this rasberry cream cheese tart recipe that looked so scrumptious and all sorts of heart shaped cute. I didn't wanna buy the issue just for that one recipe alone so I did the next best thing.

I quickly took a pic of the recipe with my iPhone, ninja style.

Yea, that happened. That's life.


There's cream cheese, honey, and rasberries that gets mixed together and joyously baked inside a pie crust. I mean, there is nothing wrong with that sentence.

These sorta remind me of pop tarts. But heart shaped. That makes such a difference.

Make these for your special person and surely you will be rewarded with a hug and a kiss.

Happy Valentine's day. I heart you guys.


Recipe (Adapted from Catherine McCord's Weelicious cookbook) Yields:10
1/2 cup plus 10 fresh or defrosted frozen rasberries
1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
1 tbsp honey or agave
1 pkg (14 oz) refrigerated pie crust
1 tbsp milk or water
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 400. In a bowl mash together 1/2 cup rasberries, cream cheese, and honey.

2. Unroll pie crusts, and using a large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 20 heart shapes. Top 10 hearts with 2 tsps each of the rasberry mixture, leaving a 1/4 in. border. LIghtly brush the borders with water. Cover with remaining hearts.

3. Using a fork, gently press down on edges to seal. With a toothpick, poke holes in each tart. Place tarts on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile place 10 remaining rasberries in a strainer set over a bowl. Press down on rasberries to release the juice. Whisk in milk and powdered sugar until icing is smooth. Spread of cooled tarts.



No comments:

Post a Comment