Friday, January 6, 2012

NomNom: Chocolate and Salted Caramel Mug Cake

So let's continue talking about this weather. For the past couple of days, it's been cold--as in frigid, sniffle-inducing-just-by-staying-outside for-one-minute-cold. What's up with the sudden winter slap in the face, mother nature? The other day I had a day off from work and didn't go out at all because of the weather....well other than to walk my dog but that doesn't count. The cold made me want to hibernate inside, be lazy, and be anti-social. I was even too lazy to cook something so I might've had PB+J for dinner. Maybe.

I wanted to eat something comforting and chocolate-y. Lots of girls have this love affair with chocolate but for some reason I'm not part of that crew (except for white chocolate). I don't know why but I only like chocolate whenever I have a craving for it which is actually quite rare. But then that rarity happened a couple days ago.

 
As I was perusing through my list of "must make" items I forgot that about this recipe I wanted to try. The recipe said 1.5 minutes and chocolate cake and well umm hello? I took that as a sign from the chocolate gods.


So you know that saying about opposites attract? Well this is the prime example of that. It's sweet and salty and it takes all of 1.5 minutes to bake. I'm serious. Would I lie to you??

Enjoy this easy as pie (or cake) recipe and have a bite for me. Have a great weekend.

Recipe: Makes 1 mug cake (adapted from www.babble.com)
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg – beaten
3 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 salted caramels (If you can’t find salted caramels you can sprinkle a little fleur de sel salt into the mixture as you’re dropping in the caramels).

Procedure:
1. Into a small bowl add: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt, egg, milk, and vegetable oil. Mix to combine.
2. Pour mixture into a regular sized coffee mug. Drop caramels into center of mixture one at a time.
3. Microwave on high for one minute and 30 seconds. If needed (if cake batter is still gooey), microwave on high for up to an additional 30 seconds. (*I microwaved it for one minute and 15 seconds because I didn't want it to come out too dry).

6 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmm...... i love mug cakes and my love affair with chocolate is so intense, gotta try this mix next time. you rock!!!
    maybe you prefer my recipe, same thing but with a smashed little banana & swirls of argentinian dulce de leche.
    tasty year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! I would put dulce de leche on my toast every morning when I traveled to Argentina last Feb. Good stuff;)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing!

    xxx

    Sibyl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm seriously going to go try this right now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this and posted on my blog, if anyone wants to read it...
    http://yummysoyummy.blogspot.com/2012/06/chocolate-caramel-mug-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this and yum- amazing! Unfortunately I didn't have any salted caramels so I just made it extra chocolatey with chocolate chips.

    Emma
    The Twentysomething Blog
    http://ewelcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete