Wednesday, April 18, 2012

NomNom: Pimiento Cheese Spread

About a month ago, I came across an article online that talked about the popularity of pimiento cheese sandwiches in the South. I'll be honest with you, I never even heard of pimiento until that article, so the curious side of me quickly googled it and found a bunch of recipes online that used pimientos in a cheese spread or in sandwiches. It was one of those things I bookmarked and told myself I would come back to. Anyway, a couple days later I was flipping through a HGTV magazine and saw the dip featured in their 'chip+dip party' page. I took this as a sign that I needed to make this dip ASAP.


Pimientos are a variety of large red chili peppers so I expected them to be spicy, but instead they were sweet. Totally not what I had in mind. Totally had my reservations at that point. I followed the recipe as is, and took a bite of the cheese spread and was smitten!! The combination of the cheese with the creaminess of the mayo & sour cream, along with the sweet peppers tasted so comforting. The first time I made this, I made it creamy. After making it several times now, I prefer mine to be a bit chunky instead but that is totally up to you. Adjust as you will.


The awesome thing about this easy spread is that it gives you options.

Who doesn't love options?

You can eat it as a dip with chips (or just by the spoonful--that definitely happened), use it to make sandwiches (hello finger food for party!!) or spread it on a burger or a warm, toasted bagel <-----SO DELICIOUS.

One cheese spread that gives you that many choices? That must mean it's some good stuff.

Ingredients (Adapted from HGTV magazine, March 2012)
1/2 lb each grated extra sharp cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream
2 tablespoons diced pimientos
Hot sauce
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Procedure
1. Mix cheeses, mayo and sour cream, and diced pimientos.

2. Season with hot sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder.

3. Serve with potato chips or use to make a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment