Friday, November 16, 2012

NomNom: Apple Crisp

Currently every food blogger has some sort of Thanksgiving related post about side dishes/desserts they can make during this wonderful, gluttonous holiday. I actually find it a bit stressful and overwhelming at times, especially because preparing for Thanksgiving is stress-inducing project in itself. And then you see an influx of pictures of side dishes floating around the web...well that just puts the pressure on. I suppose that could be a good thing too. I dunno.


If you're still at a loss for what to make for dessert for Thanksgiving, I give you this sure to impress recipe today. It's SO ridiculously easy and wonderfully glorious to make that I urge you to do so. It is really, really, really dang good. Emphasis on the really.

During the Fall season, apples and pumpkins come to mind but I feel like apples get overshadowed by pumpkin. What's up with that? So today, I want to share with you my new favorite apple related dessert for Fall. I first discovered this recipe about a month ago and ever since then I have made this about 5 times. Dead serious. When I initially made this, the first bite made me go into this little dance that I will not go into details about. It only comes out when a recipe comes out more awesome then expected and my dog is the only one that has witnessed this and I'll just keep it at that.

I love this recipe for many reasons. It's easy (you know I love simple dishes), it involves roasting apples which intensifies their natural sweet juices, oatmeal's involved (makes me feel healthy), and ice-cream elevates it to another level. When I made this at my dinner party I held several weeks ago, my friends absolutely loved it. I packed some leftovers for them and the next morning, I received an email from one of my friends that simply read: "I'm eating the apple crisp STRAIGHT out of the fridge." I mean, it's just those kinda things that warms my heart.

Even if this isn't a possible contender for a Thanksgiving dessert, I think you need to make this dessert in the near future. Like tomorrow.

Have a great weekend. Xo.

Ingredients (Adapted from recipegirl.com)
4 to 5 cups apples (4 to 5 medium), peeled and thinly sliced (I used Golden Delicious)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup Gold Medal® All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 8x10-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Spread apples in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and use a fork to combine. Use your fingers to sprinkle the crumb mixture over the apples.

4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes- or until bubbly and hot.

*Great served warm with vanilla ice cream.

*Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Reheat leftovers to serve.

1 comment:

  1. I totally gonna try this!Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete